I would consider buying the pump enstead of renting. Atleast in your case it looks like you may have to empty the pond a couple of times to finish construction and then to fill the pond from the creek. In my case it working out that buying is the same as renting, roughly. This summer I am draining my pond to repair the leaking issues. Rent in my area for a 3" pump and hoses was $70/day. This could empty the pond with current water level in one day. What I fear is that it will rain while we are working on it and need to empty it a couple of times. Keeping the pump for a week is almost the cost of buying a brand new 2" pump with a Honda engine (farm and fleet $450). The other option is to only rent it when I absolutely need it. If I am real lucky this would be a one day rent and 100 miles (50 each round trip, 2 trips pickup and return). I don't feel that lucky and expect that I would have to drain the pond atleast 1 or 2 more times during repairs. So either I keep the pump for the whole duration of repair or make trips every time I need it. This all adds up to being real close to the cost of a new pump and alot of hassle. Of course if I buy the pump I will only use it once and never need to drain the pond again. Sorry for being long winded here b