Originally Posted By: txelen
Have you considered getting an above-ground water tank and filling it up using a pump? It seems to me that dragging a pump, hose, and generator out there all the time to water would be kind of a PITA, you could install an above-ground tank, put a hose on it, and just bring the pump out to refill it once a month or so.

Keep in mind that you might not always be the one around to water. It's going to be a whole lot easier for your mother-in-law or uncle to figure out a spigot on the side of a tank than a pump and generator.

You would also be able to use relatively inexpensive water timers with a tank, for automatic watering or to have the system automatically shut off after you leave. Once you know what you want to grow, you could install drop irrigation and really stretch the water in the tank longer.

Great suggestion, txelen. Thanks. We actually just completed a nice building at the farm, so there wouldn't be lots of dragging back and forth with equipment, but there'd certainly be moving it to the pond each time. That gives me more to think about as the project develops. Is the sort of tank you're talking about just a gravity feed setup for watering, or are you thinking about something that has a pump of its own to push the water through a hose?

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB