8 acre pond. Central SC. Water is pumped from neighboring creek and we installed a well in 2007.

The quick background. Stocked with bass and bream in '03. Little to no structure in the pond other than the trees and grasses on the dike/edges. One small island in pond. Otherwise, we have trouble getting a "bloom" each year. Limed and fertilized regularly with little result. We have an infiltration of mussels that come thru pump. I had a local fisheries guy come out and test water and look at pond. He was worried that the density of the mussels might be high enough to be filtering our water and therefore negating the bloom. Bream are pellet fed and big. Bass have been caught in the 3-5 lb range but that is rare. Stunted bass likely from overpopulation. We are trying to get some bass out this spring to help out.

My question/dilemma: we drew the water waaaay down. some dry land in the middle of pond. We did this after discussion with biologist in an attempt to kill some of the mussels. we would like to take advantage of the drawdown to establlish some aquatic vegetation before we bring the water back up. we have entertained the idea of planting some 12' cypress trees in that area from a local nursery at $50/per, as well as using some water shield or lillies that I feel certain I can get from another pond. If transferred, will they take root? so...what do you suggest for our situation to increase the structure in the pond during the drawdown as well as suggestions/comments on the water quality in terms of getting a bloom in the spring and summer and the relation to the mussels in the pond?

thanks in advance!