The pectorial back delicate, narrow tip or end is very hard to see in the bottom pic, but clearer in the top pic. In top fish if fin is laid straight back it will definately reach beyond the pelvic fin and quite close to or to the first spine of the anal fin. If the pectoral fin was well colored on 2nd fish as 1st fish, I think pectoral fins of both fish in the two Lyon's pics would have the same measurement ratios.

Notice in the top fish, the collapsed pelvic fin reaches close and within abt 1/4" of the anal fin base (not a 1/2"-3/4" distance) - similar to earlier pics of what I called PS.

Note I don't think one can use this pectoral fin feature to separate PS and RES. Both have very long pectoral fins. Actually I think the RES pectorial fin is longer in RES compared to PS. Not sure about the distance between the pelvic fin and anal base for RES. BG also have relatvely long pectorial fins but typically not quite as long as RES or PS.

All this stuff can be hard to see in pictures. It is easier to see and measure with a fish in your hand.

IMO ewest or someone else also with talent should add one of the above fresh/live specimen PS pics to the PS section of the PBoss Archive thread of Sunfishes:
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92482#Post92482.
Both of the PS in Lyon's pics are dying or dead due to the posterior margin, vertical discoloration of the caudal fin.

As I look at both PS pics of Omaha and CJ, I think Omaha's fish is a female and CJ's is a male - My $0.02

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/03/10 10:16 PM. Reason: refinements, fixes, and enhancements

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management