From the picture, I don't think the top fish is a a pure PS, plus the coloration is not what I typcially see in PS which does not really mean much due to the wide variation in fish coloration.

I base my comment on the length of the pectoral fins. The pectoral fin should be the same length for a male and female of the same species of Lepomis. Note the pectoral of bottom fish & CJ's PS reaches past the posterior pelvic fin and to or just about to the base of the anal fin in both fish. As I look a second and third time, more closely at the PS fins, I think the pectoral fin, if laid straight back, will actually reach the base of the anal fin. Look closely for the fine pointed pectoral fin tip in both of the the PS. Whereas the back tip of the pectoral of top fish does not quite reach the pelvic tip or go past the posterior pelvic and in no way comes close to the base of the anal fin. This can be hard to measure on a picture but in this case it is fairly clear at least to me - maybe not to all.

Also notice that the back tip of the pelvic fin reaches within about or at least 1/4" of the base of the anal fin in both of what I am calling PS. But in the top fish this distance is at least 1/2"-3/4" or more. This fin distance feature is a consistant feature for individuals of the same species and a good indication that the two with different fin rations are different species. Or the top fish could be a hybrid.

Since the pectoral fin is not as long as it should be in the top fish and coloration is not what I normally see in a pure PS I conclude it is some sort of hybrid because it does have some PS (or maybe RES) coloration and features.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/03/10 09:21 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management