JKB:

General rule of thumb is spend as much or more on glass than the gun cost......

I don't know how old you are, but the older you are, the bigger objective you'll need during low light conditions, providing you are keeping the tube size and magnification the same. Unfortunately, a bigger obj. means that the scope has to be mounted higher from bore centerline, and getting a good cheekweld is harder unless you have a high cheekpiece on the rifle. That Ruger doesn't have one.

Personally, I can do with a higher magnification than a lot of people. I'd throw a 3x9-40 on it, Leupold VX-3 or so. There's nothing wrong with the VX-III either. Depending on the distance of your shots, you could go even less magnification, or even a red-dot type sight if in thick stuff and need to get a really quick shot off. I have a 3.5x10-50 illuminated VX-III Mil-Dot scope on one of my slug guns, and I really like it. Unfortunately, Leupy doesn't make it anymore. When illuminated, only the very center "X" hair is illuminated.

At least one of those sold on Gunbroker for $570.00

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).