Eric:

I just threw out that stocking plan because I found it on the 'net from a supplier in Ohio. That's not what I have in the pond.

In my pond I have LMB, BG, RES, CC and GSH (along with whatever FHM are left from the Fall) and a buttload of small Bardello BG's in a cage. Currently there are 75 RBT as well.

Right now, January 2010, my goals are to eventually have HSB, LMB, BG, RES, GSH in the pond, with RBT and Tilapia as transient residents. The numbers of LMB, BG, and RES in the pond now are unknown, but I think I have a good SWAG of the fish numbers and size. The pond is very light with regards to LMB over 12" long. 10 were stocked between 2004 and 2006 that were between 14" and 16", and 4 were stocked last Spring that were around 12" long. Those last 4 were pellet trained. But, all the LMB are over 1.0 WR, probably due to the minimal structure in the pond, (juvenile recruitement as well). I am not overrun with BG because I stocked sexually mature BG, and when stocked, it was very close to a 90%/10% mix of males to females. Plus the lack of cover let the LMB have their way with the YOY BG. I think there are a couple hundred BG left, most are between 6" and 9" long. I catch very few less than 4" long. I put right around 200 GSH in the pond this summer, as adults. They were caught with hook and line and transferred from a local BOW. As for the CC, I stocked 100 6"-9" last Spring, there should be 4 that are around 15#, and around 20 that are 2 YO, going on 3. There is a handful of RES, probably < 30; again 6"-9".

The numbers of fish in the pond are pretty close because 1) I had a severe winterkill in 2004 and I restocked by transferring fish from another BOW 2) when the pond was renovated in the summer of 2008, all the fish were sequestered in a small area of the pond and were observed when they were released into the newly renovated pond. Due to the pond renovation in 2008, I highly doubt that I have any fish from that year class.

I plan on taking out the CC, and not adding more. I want to try and change the BG genetics in the pond to Condello/Bardello BG. I'd like to get to a point where I could add some HSB to the mix as well.

This pond bounces around in size, from 1 3/4 surface acres (22-23 acre foot of water) in the Spring to 1 surface acre (9 acre foot of water) in the Winter.

Keeping in mind that I am removing the CC as they are caught and won't be re-stocking them, what do you suggest that I remove/add to the pond? I have virtually no submerged weeds, so GC aren't needed, nor wanted. I think I can keep the FA under control with Blue Tilapia.

On another note, can you point me to where I can find out the number of small sunfish that are in a pound? Say sunfish that are 2"-3" long.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).