sounds like your on the right track although I cringe at the thought of intentionally stocking crappie. under the right conditions the crappie can eat all the bass fry and cause the "swing in momentum" you are tring to a avoid. but if you have spent any amount of time here you have read this, educated yourself about proper management with crappie and made your stocking decision.

you may find that it takes a few years of removing bass to get the weight on them. I think it has to do with just how crowded they were and for how long. dont be surprised if your 12 inchers dont show much weight gain. your idea of throwing back the better looking fish and keeping the skinny ones works well in most of my Georgia ponds. after this year if your bluegill dont seem to be coming around consider stocking some 3-6 inch BG at a rate of 200-250 per acre. I have had great results doing this. I have noticed this seems to work better when the larger bluegill are stocked during the winter. I think survival is better becasue bass are not eating as much, and bluegill are easier to haul in cooler water.

good luck