Just thought I'd repost this for those who might want to enjoy turtle soup! Pottsy's comments not withstanding.
Ric

There are 2 methods I know of for cleaning turtles.
The first is the most dangerous: With a fairly sharp knife cut the breast plate away & remove innards. The breast plate is removed by cutting cartlidge btw the shell & plate. Seperate each leg, tail & neck from the shell & then skin each. There is also abundant flesh in the shell to remove. ALL is VERY tasty!
The second procedure .. my preference leaves the skin on: Using scalding hot water pour ample amounts over the exposed parts of the turtle while laying on it's back. The skin & toenails can then be rubbed clean. Then cut from shell as in above.
The danger in the first comes from the turtle pulling his legs out of your hand while you are cutting them loose which could possibly cause one to loose a finger. This is much diminished after scalding. Yes his head is removed but he doesn't know that. Head removed can even still bite! His heart cut free & held in your hand will continue to beat as long as kept moist for a looooong time!
Turtle soup is wonderful! I for one am an advocate of not wasting an animal when necessary/desirable to remove it from the enviorment. ....... Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric