I tend to agree with Theo. Friz doesn't seem to be interested in growing larger bass (16+") thus shiners are not needed or IMO useful. Shiners will consume food items, contribute biomass and are not edible as panfish/food source. IMO Friz should stick with edible fish to more fully and more efficiently utilize the pond's productivity. HIs ponds are remote and feeding is not a desired option for him. He will have constant problems with interlopers, even with watchful neighbors, once the fishery becomes attractive. Many here know how very hard it is to keep free loader anglers out of their ponds.

Initial stocking, I would omit the 8"-10" LMB and use the money to buy more smaller BG and maybe 50-200 papershell crayfish. He will definately be eating more BG than bass. Use NO pond dye, that will suppress fish production. After several years I thnk Friz will get a real education as to how many fish (BG-LMB) can be harvested annually from a one acre pond with out fertilization and supplimental feeding. Ponds are not limitless as many people mistakenly think.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/21/09 09:02 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management