Yellow Perch fill a different ecological niche than Golden Shiners.

I've never dealt with SMB in a pond, but it seems that your expectations are really high. You'll probably need to compromise somewhere by feeding, taking fewer fish out, using different species, or some combination thereof.

Regarding catfish, is it a flavor issue, or do they just dislike the idea of catfish? I know some people have an aversion to them as "dirty" fish or something. Maybe if they'd just try some fillets, they'll like it?

In my opinion, and take it with a grain of salt because I don't have experience in your climate or with pond culture of SMB/Walleye, your best bet for generating food per acre is to stock LMB, CC, BG, RES, and FHM; feed occasionally if you have an inexpensive source of Aquamax, and take LMB, CC, and some of the BG for eating occasionally after the second year.

Members with experience growing tilapia:

Might a LMB/BG/Tilapia pond be a good choice for this situation? The tilapia would help convert pond biomass away from flora and into edible LMB/Tilapia, but I'm not sure how effective they would be in his climate.

Last edited by txelen; 12/20/09 08:44 PM.