I have done a little studying on Large Mouth Bass coloration and put together this basic summary of what I have learned. This also summarizes what I have observed in Bremer Pond as well as other lakes where I a have fished the wily LMB.

Large Mouth Bass have photo receptors in their eyes that allow them to control the pigment cells in their skin. Their eyes receive the reflected light from their surroundings triggering a chemical release in their skin that moves the pigment closer to the surface of the skin or further away. This adaptive ability allows them to camouflage themselves when they are hunting prey or being hunted by larger fish. These color changes can occur rapidly (within 24 hours).

If Large Mouth Bass are in clear water with vegetative cover they will take on a darker color on their back, green on their sides and white on their belly. This makes the vertical bars across their sides more pronounced and dark green.

When they suspend out in deep water or live in shallow muddy water they will take on a more faded, even buttery appearance. This is because their only cover is either each other in a school or the water color itself. This makes the vertical bars across their sides less pronounced and blended with the background.

When they are in shallow clear rocky or wooded cover with minimal vegetation they may be more black and white appearing. This makes the vertical bars across their sides more pronounced and black in color.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather