Trespassing is a huge problem whether it be hunting or fishing.

I naively thought that it wouldn't happen at my pit until the other day. I have had somebody ride ATV's around our place in the past despite locked gates and well maintained fences. Anyway, the other day, after a couple of weeks of freezing temps, I went out to make the season's first attempt at ice fishing the pit. Imagine my surprise when I saw on the ice between 10 and 15 re-frozen spots where someone had drilled holes! This despite the fact that the pit is only about 100 yards from, and within sight of, my house. I haven't given anyone permission to fish this year. I thought that maybe my Father had come over to fish, so I called him, and he said "No." As far as I can tell, the trespassers must have come onto the property when my wife and I were at work. So, now, I have to find a way to catch the trespassers if they return.

I have thought about trail cameras, but it is very open around the pit, and I'm afraid anyone who trespasses would steal the cameras. I have talked to the local conservation officer, and made him aware that there is a problem. I have also made business/permission cards signed by me that I give only to those who have permission to use the property. The conservation officer has one also, so he is aware of the documentation that people who use the pit should have.

I think that the only real solution to stopping the problem is to catch and prosecute the violators.