Yep we run springers - gods gift to the upland game hunter (we run ours for waterfowl too though) . Within sight and ruffed grouse hunting is quite a conundrum. The dogs don't range farther than 20-25 yards (closer for grouse and quail) unless given the "dead bird" command.

From what I've read, porcupines spend most of their time in trees and are nocturnal. Its only common to encounter them on the gound in daylight hours during mating season, which unfortunately is in the fall. On the ground they aren't alarmed when a dog approaches them because they aren't used to being messed with. Which means they don't run to a tree like a coon, so it gives the dog plenty of time to catch them.

I'm not sure about the whole deflating the quills idea. Some of the quills were hard enough to get a hold of as it was. If he was allowed even a little movement you could watch the quills get sucked further in to his face. Pretty scary to watch. Some of the quills were just barely sticking out and would appear to be smaller quills. Then when you pulled them out you would find that it was a 1/2" quill almost entirely buried under the skin. His lower jaw pretty much looked like hamburger by the time we were done. He even had quills in his ears from giving the porcupine the ol' "death shake."

Things turned out alright, but not an experience I would like to repeat. Luckily the other dogs do not quite have the kill mentality that this one does.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau