Originally Posted By: 2catmom
OK you guys:
I see that Esshup fits right into that mad scientist category as well. Wow, you guys are into it! Now thank you Cecil, I have some new info to question Fav Guy about (PP-like, hmmmmm, is this legal in Michigan? Have you ever used it?, would it help our crappy lake that has been green for about a month now?- does it work at 50 degrees and below, hmmmmm Fav Guy?) which gives me an excuse to e-mail him sometime week.

I would think adding PP to a lake your size would be cost prohibitive especially if you don't need it. And IMHO you don't need it. I doubt it's illegal though. The FDA even allows it's use with food fish.

Personally i would take green water over this brown crap (actually yellow/green algae), and the fish stress and subsequent disease and deaths I have any day. I can't say the algae is the culprit but this is just not normal for this pond so it's just not a matter of aesthetics. Trout do best in clear water also.

Your green water means you're getting some nutrients somewhere or nutrients already in the lake are getting recycled when the lake turns over as it probably did this fall. How many people fertilize their lawns on your lake?

Another thing to keep in mind: We all want crystal clear water. However, one of the Catch22's of crystal clear water is you get lots of light penetration and if you've still got a fair amount of nutrients coming in you can get explosive macrophyte (weed) growth if the nutrients aren't being uptaken by phytoplankton. I know this from experience in my biggest pond!

BTW PP is used as a neutralizer for rotenone if you have water downstream that has fish you don't want to kill. They will be using both chemicals in the fish kill in the canal leading to Lake Michigan where the carp problem is.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/27/09 10:08 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.