Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
Why so much power? 400 amps is quite a bit of power, and with everything that you've said about energy efficiency, and the size of the home, I'm curious why the extra expense?

Eddie

It was one of those no-brainers suggested by the power company field tech that has been working with me for the past 5 years as we moved toward this point.
Since we plan to have another major structure on the building site (well off into the future), good planning would include plenty of power....just in case. We discussed 2 services at 200 amps each, but that would require 2 electric bills every month. Since I don't need to put each structure on it's own meter, he suggested just putting in one service with 400 amps. The upcharge to do so is $225 at the time of installation. After that, the monthly service fee is the same as any other 200 amp residential power feed. That's why Dski and I put in the 200 amp disconnect right next to the meter box we installed. The meter base has 2 sets of lugs: one will go thru the wall to the panel for the gar/apt, and the other set will go to the disconnect and terminate, waiting for the day that we can tap it and run it over to the next structure.
Good insurance for $225.