After reading good things from Meadowlark (btw welcome back!) about Gambusia Minnows i would love to add them to my forage base. However, i have read that Gambusia minnows outcompete fish of the same size (like fathead minnows) and in a lot of cases will eat fathead minnow fry. Is it possible for both species to thrive in the same pond? A variable that will probably play a factor in this is the size of the body of water. In my case it is a 1/2 acre pond.

Whether this info is true or not, I am not willing to risk my fathead minnow population at the moment. However, if someone has more experience with these fish and would like to offer there thoughts on the subject please do. I would love another species of minnow for my trout pond.

Please, if possible how does the Gambusia minnow compare to the fathead in spawning rate and prolificness (sp)? I imagine that the Gambusia has a lot less young as it is a livebearer.

Also how do the two compare as to ease of capture by predator fish?

Thanks, I don't mean to stir anything up with this post, I am sincerely interested in this.

- Jighead