TJ, you've gotten a bunch of solid recommendations here and I totally agree with going the machine route if your budget and usage needs allow. However, in the meantime you may also want to try this with the maul - it's a technique that I've used for big diameter logs and have never been unable to split one.

Similar to AP's advice, I always try the edges first. If that works, great because you'll have the whole thing done in no time. If not, though, take your maul and smack away at the log starting on one side and hitting it generally in line all the way to the other side, essentially scoring it across its width. Then just keep repeating that until you get a crack going, after which you should be able to get it split. If the log is too long to get fully split with your maul, bury the maul so you have an opened crack, drop a wedge down into the crack, and then whack away with the heaviest sledge you can work with. You may need more than one wedge depending on log size.

In any event, that technique has never failed me unless it's been a ridiculously knotty, gnarly old log that just won't split no matter what you do to it, but those seem to be fairly uncommon in my experience.

Again, though, go with power! Life will be easier and you'll get a heck of a lot more done!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB