Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
[quote=Dave Willis]I would suggest that it depends on your water temperatures during summer. The advantage of triploids is that they don't divert energy to gonads/reproduction, and they instead put that energy into body growth. The disadvantage of triploids is that they have bigger and thus fewer red blood cells. As a result, they are not as effective at oxygen transfer. This really doesn't seem to matter under ideal conditions. However, if your pond warms to perhaps 70F in summer, the trout will be stressed, and at this time, diploids will survive better than triploids. Maybe a small thing, but one you might want to consider.

With all the spawning stress problems I am having with my male brook trout, and subsequent disease, I have learned from a pathologist I may not have these problems if my brook trout were triploids. Unfortunately I am not aware of anyone that produces them. I do know they plant them in at least one Canadian province as I have pictures of them caught through the ice.

If I ran my well year around and set up an iron filter in winter I would consider producing my own triploids with pressure shock. It may come to that or I may stop growing out trout altogether.

trout lodge produces triploids if you are interested just google trout lodge