Originally Posted By: Bodock
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

In addition to the availability points Dr. Perca made, fish stocked in the Fall are present and eating (assuming food is available in the pond) during late Fall and early Spring, even if no growth occurs in the dead of Winter.

Interesting. So you're saying in addition to the risks of late fall stocking I previously mentioned also much of the feeding I'd likely attempt to do (with sinking feed nonetheless so I couldn't tell if it was getting eaten) would be largely throwing money away because the fish wouldn't grow much if at all? It seems waiting until March 1st is making more and more sense.

Nope, I'm saying that in exchange for the risks your fish take from being in until March 1, they get to grow some (if there is proper food for them to eat. I'm staying out of the Winter pellet feeding debate as well). Whether that includes during the dead of Winter or not, you can refer to the above discussion, but while temps are in the middle, they will be eating and growing some.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 10/21/09 01:08 PM. Reason: caveat added

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]