I have stayed out of this discussion since Big-Pond is a client and can get my two cents via email or phone. Just ask him about our fun looking for a lost wallet when he came by to get some used feeders. The lack of bass growth is due to the factors he described. We have not shocked the lake but based on conversations I do think it bass heavy. Yes his brother has some awesome lakes in SW, GA and thanks to Big Pond did all the stocking on those.

Now on the TShad discussion. I love reading these studies and glad they have been done, so thanks ewest and walt. Please do not think this is being arrogant or boastful that is not the intent (yall know me). However we shock about 100 lakes a year. I would say about 20-30 of those have threadfin shad. I think this gives us cred on what effect tshad have on bluegill.

So what do we see? Well as you know every situation is different. However in 9/10 cases the bluegill population of 3”-6” bluegill is higher than in the past prior to threadfin shad introductions. Also the average size bluegill is not as large. Those are the facts. My opinion is a simple one as threadfin populations increase this allows more bluegill to survive (due to less predation pressure). This creates increased competition amongest bluegill and lower bluegill growth. Of course we see the same happen with high bass harvest as well leading to more bluegill and smaller sizes.

As always it is about goals…I told big pond in an email if you want big bluegill do not stock if you want big bass (big cats) I think establishment is a good thing. Am I missing something here? FYI we get good establishment when fertile on 10 acre pond with just one load and our load is two 100 gallon tanks full of fish 4500 >1.5 inches stocked right when ready to spawn.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com