Walt, Texas is loaded with Extension Agents, most of who are local or regional, usually one to a County. I'm not saying that you didn't read it, but doubt that the writer was considering the variability of Texas soils. Texas is divided by 7 or 8 different types of ecosystems, none of which remotely resembles the other. They differ by both climates, crops and soils.

Again, I'm not saying that you didn't read it but TPWD and TAMU usually are very careful to recognize the regional and ecological differences regarding any type of agriculture or husbandry. I know a couple of the TAMU Prof's and have, on more than one occasion, discussed the regional variables regarding fish and wildlife propogation. If TAMU is teaching and advising that one size fits all, they are making a huge mistake.

Walt, started thinking and editing/adding here. The requirements for being an extension agent is 1. having a degree in Ag or horticulture or.... 2. Desiring to get a job. Most of them know about cattle, crops and maybe gardening. I've only met a couple that knew anything about ponds. I once had a pond problem and TAMU recommended that I call my Ex Agent and ask him/her. Then if they didn't know the answer, they could refer it on to TAMU. I did and never heard a thing. So, I networked around and found the name of one of the Profs there. I called him directly, asked the question related to my problem and he had never heard of it. However, he did request that I call him back if I discovered the solution.

My current EX Agent is a nice young lady who knows nothing about ponds. The NRCS guys are OK but most of them have been there (local) for quite awhile. And, even they know a lot less about raising fish than they do cows.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 10/14/09 06:11 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP