Haven't updated for a while. But since last update I have had 11" of rain. New pond has filled quicker than I expected. I really have my work cut out now to get that pier constructed before I am working underwater.

Just wan't to throw this out to the experts for opinions.

My exisitng pond is 1.5 acres. Stocked with LMB and BG with some fairly nice BG and LMB up to 16" with most in the 10"-14" range.

My first inclination when starting this project was to let the new pond fill to a level then open the drain valve to the existing pond and let the water levels equalize. At that point I wanted to bring someone in to clean up the shallows of the exisitng pond (15yrs old) and break the dam to allow a continuos waterway between the existing and new. I also wanted to construct a bridge over the dam opening for ease of access to the opposite side of the water (I have an entrance gate to my property on that side which may come in handy later on). The main reason for connectiong the two ponds was to have a deep area(new pond) for recreation (swimming, kayaking, water trampoline and other kids stuff) and a shallower part with inlet creeks and flats for good spawn habitat.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the following issues would be greatly appreciated:

1)What do do with existing fish when and if I drain old pond?

2)If I don't connect the two immediately, should I begin stocking the new with forage fish this fall?

3) Does anyone know where to obtain live crayfish in the NE Texas area and is it advisable to insert these into the arena?

4) What are the pro's and con's for two separate ponds? The new pond has fairly steep banks 3/1 all around on advice from a Pondmeister and I am concerned about spawning grounds if this pond remains separated. Is this a valid concern?

Here are som pic's taken recently.

Sep. 22

Typical BG in exisitng pond

Rain gauge for past week

10/10/09

Grass finally taking on dam

Looking from exisitng dam

Top of the exisitng drain valve riser. Will need good waders or a raft to access now. At least the handle is above water under the drum.

See old pond in background and exisitng dam