Thought I’d bump this up to get some opinions on my situation. We’re nearly completed on the excavation of the swimming area and I want to be ready to get that worked on while the rest of the pond is dug. Here’s what I was thinking (and I’ll throw in the actual measurements when I visit the site this afternoon)…

Using 8 inches of pea gravel instead of sand and using the aforementioned geotextile type underlayment. I would create a separate basin, of sorts, from the rest of the pond, then a berm separating the pea gravel from the muddy rest of the pond. I was thinking a 4:1 slope and am curious if this is enough to keep the pea gravel from falling in and just piling up on the bottom. Also, I was planning on graveling only the beach area and leveled off swimming area, not touch the opposite bank. I wanted to make sure that wouldn’t interfere. We wouldn’t use these banks, would only enter from the one beach next to our camp area.

So I’d like to know a cost/performance effective fabric to lay down and what others’ experiences have been with what they’ve used. Maybe I should start my own thread on this, but I thought the history of this one might be nice to just add onto.

This isn't the best picture of the area I'm talking about and maybe I can add a better one later. Basically, the area I'm talking about is right there where the dirt meets the grass. It's much more excavated than that now, but this is the best picture I have on this computer here.