Dang it I hoped to get to work and not have to post right now but could not let this one go by without a comment. I did get to clear our intake pipe again 2’ under sediment from raging creek and no water getting to fish.

Todd I was listening closely as well. However I’m posting to calm you down. I do not think we have been screwing up. If you noticed once he was done I went over to talk with him before he left. This was not new information but it hit home. My main question to him was this....What is difference in growth of plain old inbreeding amongst pure genetic bass from one source and outbreeding depression? Short answer not sure the difference (hard to research this) and doubts any significant diff in growth. Add in Theo's thoughts and makes it even less important. He did say many times age and food more important. He is doing some research in Puerto Rico and we might have a few more answers in a few years. I got his contact info and I will ask him to chime in here if he has a moment.
Question is what should we as fish stockers and consultants be doing? So did I screwup adding F1 bass all these years? I do not think so. If I added Fx from unknown source then they will still be inbreeding. If I added pure northern bass then they would top out at 8 lbs. If I added pure Florida hard to catch in a few years. Adding F1 gives best of both the worlds to original fish. So if a 5% reduction in growth in future generations still think it is best to put them in, don’t you, other thoughts?
The take home I got from this talk was good news for you and I Todd. That is to help combat inbreeding we need to add a few adult bass to some ponds that are older. Fred Bingham said his is 60 years old and never added any. Also if possible think it a good idea to get some bass from a couple of sources if possible. Mixing up the genetics as I mentioned in my talk is also good idea I feel. Also might start a trade program where I get bass from one pond and trade with another, oops wait a min then we could transfer a disease what is a consultant to do.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com