When we got the 2nd floor decking completed last weekend, I was really relieved. It really helps to cork up and protect all the work we did beneath it. We even made a quasi-frame, caulked, and blue-tarped the stairway opening. Then, I had to make some decisions.
The one facet that continues to weigh on all my decisions is sands in the hourglass. We are really running outta time, or so it seems. We have to get the 2nd story framed and roofed and all the siding installed before the snow flies. I know, I know...it's only the beginning of September. It still stresses me a bit, particularly when the leaves are beginning to fall, the days are shorter (this is a biggie). We will just press on.
So, one part of me wants to get moving with the framing up to the roof, but the reasonable and calculated part of me says to get the doors and windows installed on the first floor. Heck, they have to be installed before you can apply the siding anyway. Why right now? With them installed, the bottom garage area will be secure. This will allow me to store all the tools and junk that are required when we are ready to rock. You see, it takes about an hour to get everything transferred from the storage shed and set up for production every time we go to work. Then, before we leave to go home, same story. If we could just flip a couple of switches and turn a key, and leave all the stuff right inside the structure, we gain alot of time and flexibility.
So....
The decision is just that; install door and windows.
We have had the big ol' boxes with the garage doors setting in the garage at home for about 2 months. We packed them onto the trailer along with all the white vinyl trim and weatherstripping. We also hit Menards and grabbed about 80% of the windows. The plan was to install the garage doors, completely and hopefully get to installing a window or two. Yeah...right.
I've installed a few garage doors over the years. I must forget how tedious they are. They are like putting together a swingset; some assembly required. Fortunately, both the doors are identical. The second one moved along a little faster.

-

-
-
Yeah, with the trim work, caulking, and building the 2 swingsets, I pretty much burned up the 3 day weekend. Jeesh, it moved so danged slow. The upside? I was outta the sun and the garage area was nice and cool. Truth be told, though, it really was more of a 2 day weekend since we got there a little late and left a little early. At least I can walk away from the garage doors knowing that they are completely done and ready for siding to run up to the brick moulding. Amen.

-