Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
He stocked his pond only a year ago. I would say a cross is not logical.The fish haven't had time to grow up, mature and then spawn to create a hybrid that could be this size. If this is a hybrid, it had to come from the hatchery and stocked as a 3-4 inch fish.

That's my contention -- that it came from the source whatever that was -- already a hybrid. I think we know that is entirely possible due to human error at a hatchery, not eradicating a species completely from the previous year in the production pond, or the flooding of two adjacent ponds etc.

Mouth size and all other markings suggest pumpkinseed to me. I agree, the gill tab should have some red, but I have seen much stranger things.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't hybrids end up resembling their parents in different degrees not necessarily a 50/50 mix? I.e. with a ps X bg hybrid some would be closer to a ps and some would be resemble more a bg? Why couldn't some of the offspring look more like a ps with mouth size and markings?

My guess is that this fish was common to the watershed and has grown to its size. I would just enjoy it and not worry about it. It's not a big deal.

My point has nothing to do with worrying about it or making it a big deal. I just don't see it as a pure pumpkinseed whatever the origin.

Let's just agree to disagree. I do enjoy the debate and don't question your expertise one bit.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.