I'm in the process of constructing my 1 acre trout pond. This pond will be for some fishing and some recreation. I've been considering shaping one side of the pond to have an immediate drop off of approximately 4-6 feet for swimming, viewing the trout, etc. (I recognize the need to provide some means of exit for anyone falling in).

My contractor has been discussing various options for doing a "retaining wall" type structure for this bank. One option considered is to use some pre-cast concrete blocks that our local concrete company makes out of waste concrete. These blocks are 2' tall by 3' wide by 6' long. They are reasonably affordable. THey have notches in them to make them stackable and short "handles" letting me move them with my tractor. I could also use some rock to make an attractive cap for them.

The question--what kind of footing (if any) do you think would be required to hold a stack of three of these things? I've been told they would likely collapse without a footing. This largely negates the do-it-yourself aspect of this. Alternatively, if I have to have a footing poured, I'm thinking maybe I should just pour the entire wall. Anyone have any experience with pouring an actual retaining wall that will be submerged? I only want about a 40-60' stretch of this dropoff.

I subscribe!