I am dreaming of digging my pond next year. Around my house all the ponds have "alligator weed" growing along their banks. I was figuring on transporting it up there as it seemed like the perfect plant for my pond. Grows lush along the bank, thick, holds lots of critters and I figure it would provide a great base for a food chain.

After doing a little reading here and via google I discover that this plant is generally considered garbage and should be ovoided at all cost. All manner of erradication measures should be use to eliminate it.

Wow! Is it really so bad? What is better? American pond weed and cork screw eel grass are two that seem pretty good alternatives but I can't find much information on them such as will they ever live in Mississippi/Louisana? How deep of water do they venture out into?

There should not be maintence requirements with alligator weed as long as there is sufficient water depth. What about the other two I mentioned?

American Pond Weed is stated as being good for ducks. I like that part of the equation although it is a very minor one too me.

Basically I am looking for something that will not take over in water that is 4' deep and will help the fish with food supply.

Last edited by omegaman66; 08/23/09 11:05 AM.