CJ/Walt/Ric...

I wanted to establish FHM as additional forage in my top two ponds [designed to serve as hatcheries for SMB and my RES/BG hybrids] so I've been setting traps and checking every few days. I don't trap in my main pond bc I have GSH also stocked and sorting them from the FHM is a pain and I could make a mistake. I'm cautious as I don't want GSH feasting on my SMB or BGRES eggs and fry. Jeesh - to the point: Checked my minnow traps today and what do you think I found along with my FH and Bullfrog tadpoles????

Four very large [1.5"], gravid, and spunky PK shrimp! It was a relief to see them - considering the low numbers I stocked into the crappie pond. I still haven't seen any evidence they survived in the main pond, but I'm going to set some traps in the backwaters with abundant aquatic vegetation and see what we learn.

The four shrimp are now the sole occupants my BGRES hatchery pond. I think they'll serve their purpose well there.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]