Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Advice from the expert on Grass Shrimp - thanks Bobad - you have just given me some interesting ideas.

Think your forage pond idea would have worked with stock tanks?

Do you pump enough water simply to keep water levels consistent or enough to replace - meaning you have overflow?

Have you ever found the need to feed the shrimp?

Do the shrimp reproduce or just mature in the pond? What types of structure would you recommend adding to a stock tank to encourage repro - if you think one can accomplish this at all?

Well, I'm certainly no expert. Just think of me as someone that has attained my goal of establishing an extra forage species.

I suppose PK will grow and reproduce in just about any conditions. I threw 30 in my bait pond about a year ago, and now they're wall to wall.

The little solar pump I use works like the tide. During the day, the water level in the forage pond rises 2-4". When the sun goes down, the water slowly returns through the same 5/8 water hose. The brighter the sun, the faster it pumps, so it keeps the tiny pond from becoming too hot, as well as keeping it topped off. If your pond is large enough to not get super heated, that's all they need. Mine isn't, so I had to figure a way to keep it cool.

I used to feed the FHM often, but never fed the shrimp directly. If I thought it would improve growth and reproduction a great deal, I certainly would. Maybe they would need a feed supplement in gin clear water with no grass or weeds, but my pond doesn't come close to that.

I don't think structure is necessary for shrimp. I think grass and weeds at the water's edge provide enough cover as well as food for them. I suppose their clear bodies and lightning quick escape "snap" are their best protection from predation.

I used to obsess over the shrimp because I wanted them to get established. However, once I learned what great survivors and breeders they are, I'm confident they're permanent and totally carefree. You'll see!