Posts Transferred from FRPeeps (Frank's) Pond Project thread at the suggestion of george1.

Originally Posted By: DavidV
Otto,

Here are some pics from my pond expansion. I really appreciated you and Bob providing invaluable advice to a newbie as myself!! I am just glad I hooked up with the Pond Boss family when I did or I might have, probably would have had, a project that I would have been unhappy with. The dam was closed this past week. Missed that 12" of rain we had in May. The equipment was broken down causing the delay. You were right when you told me that most dirt guys want to tak ethe closest dirt to build the dam. Well, I got them to back off the dam and deepen those shallows to 4', 12' from the bank. Put some ridges in for bottom structure. Deepest part is 20.5'. dam is 800' long. Will send along some more pics on next post.

Topo of property. Existing pond is approx 1.5 acres.

Aerial view of exisitng pond and proposed expansion.

Exisitng pond from dam

View behind exisitng dam

Behind dam prior to work

Drum over exisitng pond drain valve riser with trees cleared.

Hole in old dam caused by beaver. The trackhoe took care of that problem in a hurry!!

dam is starting to take shape

A river runs thu it after the 12" of rain in May.My pond would have been half full if the dam had been closed.

Quote:
Will send more pics. If anyone has comments that may help me, I would appreciate it. What kind of vegetation/grasses should I plant on the dam for erosion control?

Originally Posted By: otto
We where hoping you would join us on the forum. Thanks for the pictures.

Plant bermuda gress on the dam.

These were pics from my cell phone. My better half has the good ones in her camera and she ran off today, taking kids to Six Flags. Sounds HOT! My contractors gave me a bill that included an extra for taking the dirt from the front to the dam. I expected that after seeing their reactions when advised of this necessity. The dam is 100'wide at the base, and slops very gradually on the backside,maybe 2/1, good for mowing.

After they completed their work last Thursdaqy the dozer would not shut off, wanted to keep going. They had to remove fuel lines from the injector pump to kill the darn thing. Now it is in pieces again sitting on my old dam.

Here are some more pics taken today while I was seeding the dam, ugh. Seed is expensive. Hope it germinates

At least the bottom holds water

one of the ridges

Another ridge, will be 5' below normal pool level.

From the center of the dam

My finger is always in the wrong place

Looking from east. Ridges,

From east again

Will be adding some cedars for cover, anyone need cedar wood? I have acres of it. Boulders and other fishy things.

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Looks great, what kind of seed did you put down?

Originally Posted By: FRPeeps
David, That's a great looking project. Congrats!

Where in N. Texas are you located?

Thanks for the compliment. Put down Bermuda as Otto advised. Now if it will rain it would be great. I have no water on property yet other than exisitng pond.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 08/16/09 06:57 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]