DB-200 August 1st initial report:

background; 1st week of July, at 3' pond would drop 2.25" day, applied 500lbs bentonite, 750lbs lime dust/gravel, 80lbs salt, & 6gal DB-200; no compaction done

July 25-29th; pond level at 6', day1 drop = 3" day2 = 2.75" day3 = 2.75" day4 = 2.5" 11" in 4 days

I'm unwilling to draw any conclusions as to DB-200's ability to form a pond seal other than it won't perform a fast miracle. My .2ac hole is generally sandy with the rock bed just 8" under a sandy (slight clay) layer. There are no signs of any moisture behind the dam or in the vicinity. The water visibility doubled from 24" to 48". There's been an explosion of gambusia minnows.
I attribute day1 leakage to 'wicking up water into dry soil.' Day2, 3, & 4 leakage was what I'd expect from added hydro pressure from the increased water level. Hope to apply 6gal DB-100 before returning to my present residental state CA (in just a few days). In conclusion, 4 ton bentonite may be called for, rather than 1/4 ton for my situation.

May return to AL pond and review in October. Due to a lack of time and $$ resources, I may just throw another 1,000lbs bentonite (or kitty litter) along with some DB-100, and pump more water into it this fall.

The neighbors 1/2ac pond, just 75yds over has the same soil/rock situation. After 5 years, theirs holds water OK, it's down 4' this summer (been very dry), so mine might seal to some acceptable level in the future. I believe having water in the pond is necessary, yet am realistic that that may not be sufficient.

(*My trip back to this AL pond has been postponed until Thanksgiving!)

Last edited by SoSauty; 10/16/09 03:41 PM. Reason: update info

Self-educated rednecks, the real intelligentsia.