Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
Now that I found out I'm in an area with more WM than GSF can anyone tell me if I can apply the same approach with the Warmouth as the goal species?
Yes.

Yes we could.

But then of course we would have to kill you afterwards.

I found this on a website...

RANGE AND HABITAT: Warmouth sunfish are native to Ohio, but their distribution is limited to glaciated streams and lakes in the northeast part of the state. They are abundant in one of the few natural lakes in Ohio, Nettle Lake in Williams County, and in the Scioto River drainage in south-central Ohio. Warmouth prefer weedy lakes, sluggish streams, oxbows, marshes and ponds. They are a secretive fish seeking cover in rocky banks, stumps, or weed masses to avoid direct sunlight.

I wonder if that means that you would need to perhaps plant some non invasive lily or provide some other form of shading?

LIFE HISTORY: Warmouth are not colonial spawners like other sunfish species. However, males do fan out a nest, usually near a rock, stump, clump of vegetation, or other large object. The male guards the nest until the fry disperse. During this time the male will chase intruders off with gill covers spread wide and mouth open, to make himself appear larger. Adults eat primarily crayfish, aquatic sowbugs, aquatic insect larvae, and small fish. Warmouth can take four years to reach 6 inches in length.

Once again seems like some vegetation might be in order. I could ship you some Elodea if you would like.....

Four years to reach 6 inches??? I can't imagine that this would be true if you were feeding them.

Still seems like an interesting project even if GSF aren't involved.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)