When those of us that have experienced a dreaded "fish kill" see the word "fish kill" we think of a massive amount of fish dead and dying. Two fish to most of us is not a "fish kill," at least not due to low oxygen which is typically the cause. Don't get me wrong I am not making light of you losing those fish as no one wants to lose any of their fish.

I'm not saying this is not the beginning of a fish kill though or some other problem or impending problem. With only two fish dead there could be other problems such as predators i.e. otters, herons etc. Edit: (Oh I missed you said no Otters) Additionally occasionally a few fish die in a pond due to accumulated stress as in after spawning, parasites, old age etc.

I think we need more information. How big is your pond and how many adult bass do you think you have?

If you don't have an oxygen meter can you get up at the crack of dawn and see if any fish are piping at the surface? (The time of day when oxygen levels will be at their lowest.)

Yes raccoons will certainly pull dead fish up on the bank as will other scavengers. Snappers shouldn't be able to catch a large healthy swimming fish that I know of.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/08/09 09:36 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.