Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
TJ, crappie usually spawn a little deeper than you can see at least IME. So I am not sure you can be 100% sure you are only gonna get males... Not like you can actually see the male sitting on the nest. And I think males don't get as big as females, so you really would wanna get all females. All it would take is one mistake and you got a mess!

I think our best bet yet is to either get triploid crappie, or see if they can come out with a test to sex fingerling crappies. If you could sex out say crappies at 3". In that scenario you could stock them much like CC. Say 50 per acre per year. You may have to grow them out to say 6" so they avoid being bass food though, sorta like what you have to do with CC. Or you could use them as a top of the line predator like you are thinking of doing with your one pond. Something like a crappie only pond. Just golden shiners and other forage fish like FHM or BNM. Boy you could grow some monster crappies that way! Complete control of reproduction as they are all females... I really think that may be the best way to accomplish your goal.

Why not feed train them while you're at it and eliminate worries about getting a good forage base going or that they could potentially crop off? I know of a couple of hatcheries that were able to do this fairly easily with crappies.

Only downside I see to female only crappies could be egg bound females. Don't know if that would be a problem or not. On the other hand triploid sterile females are produced very commonly now with trout. If that was the case with the crappies, being egg bound would not be an issue, and additionally they would put energy into growing vs. gonadal development.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.