As it turns out I'll be able to try a GSF pond before my pond is ready. Mr. H, my neighbor, has several ponds including one that's about 1/5 acre located just behind his house. This pond is in rough shape now and may have suffered a fish kill. I offered to help him with the pond, which of course means asking you all to help me, help him. I mentioned my idea for a Greenie pond and he liked it enough to try it in his pond.

I think it's a great approach for this pond for a few reasons. Unlike his other ponds, this one is dependent on run-off from a fairly small watershed, so it's likely to get low at times. At this point it has lost about 2/3 of it's volume. GSF are often the last fish to survive in low water situations like this making them a good choice I think. I've read that they can survive DO down to 4 mg/L (I assume that's pretty low). A GSF pond matches Mr. H's goal of providing fun fishing for his grandchildren. If we can get decent sized fish then it will also provide a handy supply of good eating fish.

Here's what I know about the pond so far:

*The pond is about 12 years old.

*At full pool it's about 130 ft by 50 ft.

*It's maximum depth is about 10 ft, but it's down about 5 feet.

*Based on good clay content and Mr. H's observations the pond doesn't leak.

*It's had a duckweed (watermeal) problem which has been treated chemically without success.

*About 1 year ago (3) 11 inch GC were stocked, but no reduction in the watermeal was observed.

*No fish have been observed in several months, including the GC. (I don't know what was previously stocked, but will ask soon.)

*The pond has a good population of tadpoles and frogs.

I've caught 6 inch GSF in Mr. H's big pond, and I'm thinking that we could collect some to stock the small pond. Mr. H has some fish pellets and is willing to regularly hand feed.

Would it be wise to add some GSF now and hope for a spawn, or is it too late in the season?

Would it be better to add Fatheads and let them multiply before adding GSF?

Can the GSF thrive with the duckweed/watermeal? Can Gambusia?

Can the GSF thrive without a forage fish population, relying on tadpoles, insects, and pellet feeding?

Any input will be appreciated.