Trails, I have a pond a bit smaller than 1/4 acre and have had great success with the SMB. I started with FHM then added YP a year later and then a year later the SMB. My SMB have been doing great and growing like gang busters. I have done some supplimental FHM stocking to ensure their numbers are up enough for the SMB. I also added crayfish to the pond prior to the SMB ( about 1 yr prior ) They did a bit of damage on the walls of the pond but seem to either be gone now or under control.

As for supplimental feeding, my SMB were not feed trained but I found something interesting happening when I added feed. My FHM ate the feed and as they grouped up to feed the SMB would come to the surface and hit the feeding FHM's. It was wild to see.

I only have one areator in my pond and that seems to take care of things nicely. As a matter of record, I do not run the system more than 8 hrs a day in the summer. It seems to be enough to keep the DO where it should be.

Well thats just a view from someone who already has SMB. I am not sure about how your combination would go but I am sure with the right numbers they would be a nice addition to the pond.

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY