I'm not sure all the heat was from the compost heap, I checked the next day and the worm bin was warmer than the compost. I'm also not sure the chicken was actually thermally cooked, the chicken proteins could also have been chemically denatured which would also render them opaque. This could be from high acidity (ever make ceviche?) or possibly the BSFL digestive enzymes (if I correctly remember reading they actually secrete them onto their food) (Or was that Jeff Goldblum?). I was poking around looking to see how many of a predatory larvae were in the bin and noticed the chicken was pretty much just a paste shaped like chicken breast. There may be oxygen level issues too, if I can clear up the predator issue I may add more compost to loosen things up, move it to the new bin and top it all off with coffee grounds to nuke the odor released by stirring the bottom up. I agree about the leek tops and that's good news about the banana peels as we go through a LOT of them. (Peanut butter, banana, raisin and bacon-bit sandwich, anyone? Use the REAL bacon bits!)

Happy no-longer-Monday

Bob

Last edited by bobdog; 06/09/09 12:13 AM.