Originally Posted By: BrandonA
ewest

Thanks for the link.

I guess the SMB is not as prolific as the LMB. I don't have a problem having both. I love catching big ol bass. In the 100 acre lake when full it will flood approx 50 acres of mesquite/brush. I would think that the LMB will spend the majority of their time in this area habitat and the SMB will spend most of the time in the deeper water by the damn. I may be wrong in my assumption though.

I was going thru my night stand and found a stack of pond boss magazines that my wife consolidated in the drawer. I think its the March/April issue where they hit off of your last statement.

I like you believed that it was the SMB's niche to be a deep, cool water predator but in that article it suggests the opposite. They say that the main reason SMB end up in the deeper waters is because the more aggressive fish such as LMB push them off of the prime hunting grounds similar to how bullies sit where they want even if there is a skinny little guy sitting in that seat. Eventually that bully will get what he wants. It appears that there will be a few more installments on SMB in upcoming issues so if you don't subscribe I'd recommend you do. That article has me leaning towards setting up a SMB pond when I get the ball rolling. I can get decent largemouth at almost any lake/pond in my county but to land a fat smallmouth off a top water lure, that just has my arm reading to set the hook.

But of course in a 100 acre pond they will have plenty of places to choose from.

RB

Future Pond Boss
[Linked Image from i53.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]