Alcohol is not very good at sterilizing skin surfaces. A large random series of skin biopsies by dermatologists with and without alcohol prep showed no protective advantage (no fewer infections) from prepping with alcohol. This is a good example where omitting an alcohol swab prior to an injection or taking of a blood sample could result in a malpractive suit(in the unlikely but remotely possible event that the site became infected) since the idea is so ingrained in the public's mind. Hydrogen peroxide is not as damaging as alcohol as far as I know. It is a good sterilizer, and cleans up blood stains (on clothes too) better than anything else that exists. Nevertheless, there are some physicians who feel it is not the best thing to pour into an open wound. I would not recommend using peroxide directly in a wound but it is great for cleaning around it. Just plain soap and water or best Betadine which what is used for surgical preps a lot. It is also painless (the sting in the old fashioned tincture of iodine due to the alcohol in it). As far as the stories which I told at the pond boss dinner, I have been encouraged to write them as a post on this forum, but have been reluctant to do so as I fear they would only seem as funny as that night if they were read using beer goggles.

Layton Runkle