Went to see a friend yesterday who built his own acre pond, just finished another (yet to fill), and is working on a third. Pretty incredible 175 acres. In his acre pond near his house he's got walleye and yellow perch. Bass and bluegill (hybrids too) as well, but a lot of frogs so I'm not sure how prevalent they are. Anyway, a beautifully designed pond, all 3 of them, but different than what I'm aiming for. His are 20+ feet deep.

Anyway, he had dirt problems with the first pond, since he had a ton of sand and limestone that he had to contend with. I don't believe I'll have to deal with that, but he did bring up some possible concerns. The elevation of the creek is substantially lower than the pond. I thought this was a good thing...don't want that creek spilling over into the pond, but he said that the pond water level will only reach the level of the creek. Or the level of the clay banks anyway. The banks are very high and I'll have to study them a little further and see just how high the clay goes up the bank and meets the regular dirt. Will this really determine the pond's water level? If so, I assume, when digging, we can spread clay that we dig into on the higher spots that might have the darker, possibly porous, soil.

Just for the heck of it, we tried fishing the creek. Caught four 3-6" carp. Yay. Tossed in a crayfish trap yesterday evening so we'll see if there's anything in there today. Not expecting anything, but I wasn't expecting to catch any fish either.

My 'dozer guy is very tentative when it comes to getting his equipment out in rain so I have yet to get him out there. I keep calling and bugging him though (nicely ) so hopefully the next stage is shortcoming.