ML - Since the pond is in Upper MI, I am pretty sure that they do not have access to hybrid striped bass (HSB).

rick-No. As ML: mentions you do need some predator and should introduce the predator before the HBG have a good first spawn. Largemouth bass fingerlings or smaller juneviles (6"-8") are a good first start. Your pond size of approx one acre could handle 80-120 LMB fingerling to put heavy pressure on the young HBG. The numnber of bass to stock is also dependant on how many HBG you initially introduced.

I have a pond near me that had a few HBG initially stocked in it and the pond has smallmouth bass as predators. You might want to stock SMB instead of LMB but the LMB would probably do a better job of reproducing and keeping young fish (HBG & bass) to a minimum. If you use SMB be sure to keep the SMB harvest to a bare minimum or none, so you always have plenty of bass to prey on HBG. Sometimes SMB do not always have good or successful spawns each year.

I sampled and fished the above mentioned pond last week. Initially 18 larger sized HBG were stocked in 1989 (17 yrs ago) by me into this 1/3 ac pond that contained SMB and yellow perch. I caught some large sized 8.5"-9" ?HBG?. To me they looked more like green sunfish than a typical HBG. I attributed this to after successive generations of HBG reproduction, the offspring that had the best survival advantage tended to have more GS like characters. I set some traps Sunday to be run tomorrow Tuesday. I will see if the traps catch any small sunfish types. HBG and green sunfish seem to enter traps well for me.

Keep us informed about the progress of your pond.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management