...and another thought, pursuant to Ric's input...
What is the soil type that is at the level and below the house foundation. My thinking is this: If the soil is somewhat permeable at this level, then there is a good chance that you will be packing the pond with borrowed clay to help seal it. No biggie, it happens. If for some reason, there is any kind of breach below the water level and near the home, what are the chances that over time it will migrate horizontally thru the soil? And, what are the chances that it may compromise the integrity of the soil supporting the house footing? You indicated that the home may be pretty close to the pond. I'm not presenting these thoughts based on experience as much as one that tries to anticipate the "worst case scenario". In my world, I am sure that I thought of everything...only to find out I missed the most critical facet. I remember talking with a savvy NRCS agent that was up on his pond construction. He was helping me while I consider a property for pond construction, but it would potentially run up to a neighboring property. He threw a number of scenarios and how to mitigate them; one of them being a non-cooperative neighbor. He said that in that instance, they would recommend keeping normal pool a min of 3 ft below the point that it would run over the property line, particularly when it is in an area of a neighboring driveway or similar. The concern is waterlogging the soil beneath causing a structural compromise.
Lastly, when you say "top water level", are you talking about when the emergency spillway is running at full capacity during a deluge? Presumably so. If not, back to the drawing board.
Thanks for posting, a hearty Welcome, and keep us up on your project.