Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Some people don't realize this but HSB are fertile and can back cross back to white bass and striped bass. This is the reason they are illegal to stock in VA. The VDGIF is afraid they will escape the pond, swim their way to the Chesapeake Bay and spawn with wild striped bass and screw the gene pool up. However, few if any ponds would have the correct spawning locations for HSB to successfully pull of a spawn.

CJBS2003 - Along those same lines, how likely do you think it is for pure white bass to pull off a successful spawn in a larger pond of 8 or so acres? A friend of mine has a pond that was flooded by a large rain event. He's in the drainage area of a large lake that has a TON of white bass, and he's now confirmed they are in his pond a year later. He expressed some concern about them being in there, but I told him that I personally didn't think I'd worry about them too much as I didn't think they'd overpopulate.... and they are a lot of fun to catch anyway. Was I correct in saying that?

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.