Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
Eastern White Pine is a native tree and lands in the "fastest grower" category in the NRCS field guides. The moment I mentioned their application, tho, the State biologist and the NRCS agent both nixed it without proper deer protection (and I don't want to deal with fencing or netting). They both leaned to Norway Spruce, particularly because of the shading.
Lance, when I get some time, I'll look into your other pine ideas...thx.
"Deer Protection" - Now that is saying a mouthful! I am curious what others have done about this #1 Killer of White Pines. The deer around here are enough to turn a non-hunter into a poacher! Personally I have bought 100 ft rolls of welding wire and hand cut them into 1 ft round fences. Not only expensive but EXTREMELY time consuming. It seems to be working aside from the occasional knock over and light snack, but is anyone else using anything easier and cheaper? Plus in a 2-3 years the little white pines will start to out grow their cages. Some Neighbors have told me they had bought some nice 36 in. Pines in the past only to have them destroyed by bucks. I just recently ran some electric (white tape) electric fencing around a new plot of trees to see how it does. It is unsightly, but I don't mind it for a few years since I don't live on the property yet.

I've read & read about repellants but have not been sold on the idea, plus it gets pretty costly as well when you have several hundred trees...

The old farmer next to me tells me there is NO new growth or little saplings in the forest anymore due to the deer. I have hunters on standby for the fall season.....