A recent post by Aaron M has got me wondering how we all compare in feeding rates. I know we have done feeding surveys before but I want to start one where everyone gives their feed rate in comparable units. We all have different sized ponds and variable length growing seasons so I want members to give their feed rate in terms of lbs per month per acre during the feeding season. This will get everyone on the same level regardless of how big your pond is or how many months you can feed. (Of course what types of fish you have can greatly effect feeding but there isn't a way to put that in the equation.) Anyhow take your yearly food consumption divided by how many months you feed divided by the size of you pond (in decimal form).

For example at my folks 0.33 acre pond we feed from about April through October and use around 100 lbs a year. So 100lbs divided by 7 months divided by 0.33 acre = a feed rate of 43.3lbs per acre per month. I think this is lower than most of you (esp Aaron) but that is why I want to start the thread. If we get lots of people to post we could come up with a PondBoss average and link this thread when new members join and ask about how much to feed.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?