Bill, with all due respect, please remove Reed Canary grass from your list. There is enuf of that crap already.

if you want canary reed you dont even need to make an island, it will make its own.

Yes it grows but it grows way too much and forms monoculture desserts. And universities are improving it.

ohmygod.

and although native i dont think the strains generally available and invading are native.

it is time for me to spray mine and i have plenty. my strategy is if its grass that remotely looks like canary reed, its canary reed and it gets sprayed.

ohmygod, please, please please do not recomend that. please show me plant community where you have had canary reed for more than 3 or 4 years and we can compare to where i have been spraying canary reed for 3 or 4 years and take a poll. and if it isnt all canary reed, then your picture is not truthfull. maybe i will post my picture anyway. i can post pictures of canary reed desserts in the beautifull Iowa river valley.

you are way more than me but i have to change your recomendation, i am begging, please

i would like to start campaign to banish it from seed market, it is toxic, i have spread plenty of it (mowing) and am ashamed and will not mow canary reed in seed anymore. mowing after Jun1 is forbidden until into august because of it.

so, yes, it makes a difference, but there is not a single place that is better for it after a couple years, when it is all bad.

please