Preparing for stocking usually means cover, structure, ambush points, etc. I like AATW's points here. I would do that in areas away from training and swimming.

Check your water quality regarding fertility prior to stocking. You need a plankton bloom to establish the food chain for the forage. It might be a little late in the year to get the food chain going to stock the forage and BG. If visibility isn't over 2 ft., you could stock this fall.

For forage, I'm still a fan of starting with fatheads. Once Bluegills get established, they are the forage.

Species can get tough for a balancing act. About the only thing, IMO, that can really handle BG is LMB. However, they have to be managed to keep from overspawning. Your young son may be the answer to that question. You might give consideration to HBG, fatheads, CC and HSB. Periodically, get a couple of pounds of fatheads to increase forage. Get a feeder.

A couple of considerations. My opinions only here. I would go deeper than 5 ft average depth. If you meet your goals and are able to attract a mess of waterfowl, they can turn shallow water into a cesspool. Aeration can help some but poop overload can be a reality. I doubt that it would cost much more to deepen the end near the dam. Gotta admit, I think a lot about drought insurance.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP