I've been an In Fisherman subscriber for 20 years and as a youngster always longed to actually get around to posting a MA catch through the magazine. I wanted to see my name in print - establish myself amongst the hallowed few who have their exploits recorded and arriving in countless mailboxes across the globe.

However, the window [within 30 days of the catch] has been tight, and I've missed registering a 21" SMB from BWCA, many CC's over 33", and a few LMB over 24". Finally, this year I registered two beauty NP I caught last Summer in NW Ontario [44 and 45"] and the pics were of high quality. I was certain to have my name listed amongst the 2008 In Fisherman Master Angler Award Winners...perhaps within hours of delivery become a household name, and who knows, maybe even have my handsome mug splashed on the page posing with my fish!

Today, my magazine arrived. I dropped all the mail with my In Fisherman clutched in my hands and immediately called a family meeting. Gathered around the dinner table - I demanded perfect silence as I explained to my kids that life was soon to change for all of us as I was catapulted into the life of the fishing hall of fame. Lack of privacy, autograph seekers, paparazzi. I actually could feel beads of sweat forming on my sixhead, [forehead and then some] and my efforts to contain my excitement were excrutiating.

I held my magazine proudly before me, cleared my throat, and in a profound voice announced, "2008 Master Angler....Highlights"? I paused and reread. Highlights? It should have read "Master Angler LIST". I discarded it as a typo and quickly thumbed to page 66 as my children and wife huddled around me. My heart sank as I discoverd a scant two pages dedicated to the MA awards. I scanned the pics...turned the page...no sign of TJ Hudson or my pike anywhere. I read on..."This year we dont have the editorial space to list most of the award winners as we've done in the past...."

My jaw dropped. The Chickadees ceased to sing in the backyard. My cats ran to the basement.....For 20 years each and every MA fish registered has been chisled into the history of In Fisherman glory and delivered to countless mailboxes across the globe. The first fish I ever recorded happen to be the year they run out "editorial space"? Unbelievable. I was completely deflated. My kids and wife shuffled away from the cloud of shame building around me...even my 5 year old August, never at a loss for words, apparently found himself too embarrassed to speak.

I sank into my chair fully prepared to bathe in my misery when out of the corner of my eye I saw a sparkle, a glint of something white as the driven snow. Something clicked....I know that color...I know that brilliant white color. I picked up the magazine and looked closer - and there he was - my pal, Bruce, front and center, one of the very few, the very proud anglers chosen to become instant fishing heroes, posing with a 29.25" Wiper. Although mine isn't visible from the International Space Station, I had to smile for my bro - knowing he was arriving in countless mailboxes across the globe at that very moment.

Epilogue: I don't REALLY care about awards, and this is merely a story, however truthful, related only for the pure enjoyment of my PBF fam.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]